I really, really love pizza! Especially when it is homemade with a little help of my little girl. The essential for an authentic Italian pizza is the pizza dough used for the base – and the tomatoe sauce, of course.
I have been experimenting with some pizza dough recipes for a while now and I think this recipe is the best. But this recipe takes time: At least three hours, in best case about 24 hours for the best possible pizza dough.
It is best to work the pizza dough by hand. Form the dough ball into a flat bread. Then, lay your hands on it. Your fingers have to show towards the edge. Now spread your fingers with pressure and turn the dough a little bit at the same time. Start the procedure from the beginning. With some practice you will have quickly a circular pizza dough.
By the way, the pizza dough can be stored up to 3 months in the freezer.
So, here we go.
Authentic Italian Pizza Dough
For 4 pizza crust
- 500 grams flour
- 250 ml water
- 10 grams yeast
- Mix yeast and warm water. Let it rest approximately 5 minutes.
- Grease the bowl with a kitchen paper and a little olive oil. This prevents the dough from sticking to the bowl.
- Mix flour and salt in a bowl. Add yeast water and knead firmly with your hands.
- Cover the dough with a damp kitchen towel and let it rest in a warm place for at least 3 hours. Better for 24 hours.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and knead briefly.
- Divide the dough into four pieces of equal size.
- Roll out the dough balls thinly one after another on a floured surface.
|Cooking time||3 hours|
|Calories||487 kcal per serving|
|Carbohydrates||89 grams per serving|
|Protein||2 grams per serving|
|Fat||13 grams per serving|
When baking the pizza, use the maximum heat of your oven. With mine it’s 275° C (572°F, gas mark 9). So your pizza should be ready to serve after 10 minutes.
I would love to read your feedback on this recipe. So, if you tried the Pizza Dough Recipe, please add your thoughts in the comments below, no matter wether it is positive, negative or suggestions for improvement.