After I had dared to bake bread myself for the first time with the walnut baguette, this time it was a “real” bread. An oats bread made of oat flour, oatmeal and yogurt.
And baking your own bread doesn’t have to be heavy and elaborate! The good thing about this oats bread is – from my point of view – that it doesn’t take much time. Because this bread comes without yeast dough or sour dough and so the oat dough doesn’t need any rest time. And this shortens the time to a ready to eat bread noticeably.
Through the use of oat flour and oatmeal, this bread has an above-average proportion of fiber. And these make the oats bread very emphatic and saturating, on the other hand it has a positive effect on our body, especially on digestion.
The taste of the bread is slightly sweetish and, little surprising, characterized by oats. And despite the noticeable sweetness the oats bread also tastes excellent with rather hearty toppings such as Brie and Camembert, salami, Black Forest ham or homemade liver sausage.
One thing: If you do not have any natron in your kitchen, make sure which one. Although it is said that you can easily replace natron with the same amount of baking soda, but that didn’t work for me at all. And so the oats bread was very firm on my first attempt. With the second try, with natron, the bread was much more airy.
Homemade Oats Bread
For 1 bread
- 450 grams of oat flour
- 150 grams of oatmeal
- 2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of natron
- 20 grams of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 400 grams of whole milk yoghurt
- 1 egg
- Mix flour, oat flour, oatmeal, baking soda, natron, sugar and salt in a bowl.
- Mix the yoghurt and the egg and add to the flour mixture. Knead everything with the kneading hooks of your hand mixer.
- Form the dough on a floured surface to a loaf of about 18 centimeters in diameter.
- Place on a baking paper covered baking tray.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 200° Celcius for 30 to 40 minutes.
|Baking time||40 minutes|
|Calories||2,606 per bread|
|Carbohydrates||402 grams per bread|
|Protein||54 grams per bread|
|Fat||79 grams per bread|